How to Jailbreak iOS 6 on the iPhone 4 / 3GS
Did you know you can jailbreak iOS 6 on A4 devices including the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS? Sure, it may be a tethered jailbreak, but for serious fans of Cydia this doesn't matter. As usual, if you are currently using any kind of baseband unlock you should steer clear of an iOS update and this jailbreak until further notice.
Before you begin, remember that this procedure will only work on the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G. All of these devices have the Apple A4 processor. Start by updating your jailbreak-compatible iPhone to iOS 6. You can update your iPhone OTA or on your computer with iTunes. You will need to download the iOS 6 IPSW firmware file to your computer to jailbreak. Follow these instructions to jailbreak iOS 6 tethered:
2. Download redsn0w 0.9.14b2 from iPhone Dev-Team.
3. Run redsn0w and navigate to Extras -> Select IPSW -> choose your firmware file. If you are on Windows, make sure you are running redsn0w as an administrator.
4. Go back and then select Jailbreak. When asked to select your options, make sure the box next to Install SSH is checked. Click next.
5. When the jailbreak process finishes, put your iPhone into DFU mode.
6. In redsn0w go back and select Just boot. Your iPhone should display a pineapple as it boots tethered and jailbroken. Now it's time to install Cydia.
7. Make sure your iPhone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer. Navigate to Settings -> Wi-Fi and make a note of your IP Address.
8. Connect to your iPhone using SSH. You can find instructions on how to connect to your iPhone via SSH using a Mac or Windows computer here. Follow steps 4-10.
9. Once you are successfully connected to your iPhone, paste the following command into the terminal screen on your computer and hit enter:
wget -q -O /tmp/cyinstall.sh http://downloads.kr1sis.net/cyinstall.sh && chmod 755 /tmp/cyinstall.sh && /tmp/cyinstall.sh
10. A bunch of text will scroll through the terminal screen as Cydia is installed, then your iPhone will reboot. Now the Cydia jailbreak app store is installed on your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.