How to Activate iPhone Tethering With Firmware 3.1.2 (3G and 3GS)
Now that Geohot has released the blackra1n RC3 jailbreaking tool, activating tethering on an iPhone 3G or 3GS is a snap. Many international users already have tethering, meaning they can share their iPhone data connection with a computer. AT&T does not offer this option in the US.
Fortunately it's never been simpler to tether if your iPhone is running the latest firmware (3.1.2). Follow these steps to activate tethering, just keep in mind you are breaking all kinds of agreements with AT&T and Apple in the process.
- First go to blackra1n.com to download and run the blackra1n RC3 jailbreak.
- After reboot, your iPhone is jailbroken. Find the blackra1n app installed on your iPhone and run the application.
- Touch “sn0w” and then the Install button in the upper right to install blacksn0w.
- Your iPhone is now unlocked. Open the web browser on your iPhone and go to the address: http://m.peacefulinsanity.com/Tether.mobileconfig
- Click install and confirm to update your IPCC file (carrier settings).
- Reboot your iPhone. Go to Settings -> General -> Network -> Internet Tethering -> ON.
- Now your computer or laptop can borrow your iPhone's data connection using USB or Bluetooth.