What new features are coming in iPhone Firmware 2.0?
Apple announced on March 6th 2008, during its iPhone Software Roadmap event in Cupertino, the upcoming availability of iPhone Software version 2.0. This new software will include the iPhone SDK and new firmware for the Apple iPhone. The update is mainly aimed at the addition of a) the iPhone "App Store" to showcase and manage applications developed using the new, official iPhone SDK and b) the addition of a bevy of enterprise features aimed at making the iPhone a serious enterprise device.
The most noteable feature additions coming in iPhone Firmware/Software version 2.0 known at this time are:
- The addition of the iPhone App Store, a "a new application that lets users browse, search, purchase and wirelessly download third party applications directly onto their iPhone or iPod touch"
- the addition of push email, push contacts, and push calendar support
- addition of a global address list
- WPA2/802.1x support
- support for identities and certificates
- more VPN protocols
- SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics)
- enforced security policies
- remote wipe
- Powerpoint viewing
- support for mass device configuration
- support for mass email deletion
- ability to move emails
- Bonjour support
- full-screen Safari mode
- new CSS effects
Certainly, more features will be announced and discovered as the beta versions of iPhone 2.0 land in the hands of developers. Check back often for updates.