Report: Apple Putting 8MP Camera in iPhone 5

It looks like the rumored 8 megapixel camera for the iPhone 5 is finally confirmed. DigiTimes has reported that OmniVision will be handling 90 percent of Apple's supply of 8 MP camera sensors, with Sony handling the other 10 percent.

iPhone 5 8MP camera

In April, Sony sparked 8 MP camera rumors when CEO Howard Stringer said the company faced delays in image sensor production for Apple, due to its earthquake damaged facility in Sendi, Japan. There was speculation that Apple was looking to switch to Sony, from OmniVision, who handles production for the current 5 megapixel camera for the iPhone 4.

The new iPhone 5 is also rumored to feature a wider gap between the flash and camera to reduce red eye and improve picture quality.