Many believed Apple would release their new standalone Podcasts app alongside iOS 6, but they have decided to release it today instead. The app is now available for download in the App Store for devices running iOS 5.1 or later. Apple promises that the new app will make discovering and subscribing to podcasts much easier. It does this with a great UI and by offering many features like the innovative new Top Stations option.
Top Stations allows you to find new podcasts in a variety of topics like comedy, music or sports. The new app also features social networking sharing, in-app podcast management, and customizable playlists. You can browse by Audio or Video podcasts, and will have access to thousands of shows in over 40 languages. Read on for a complete list of features and requirements.
From the official Podcasts app description:
Features:• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what's most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
Newest iPhone FAQs
• Requires a device with iOS 5.1 or later
• Optionally syncing episodes requires iTunes 10.6.3 or later
• Streaming or downloading episodes requires internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection
The Podcasts app is free and is compatible with the iPhone, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation) and iPad.