How to fix the iMessage read receipts bug in iOS 7?
iMessage provides the option to send read receipts, letting the other party know exactly when their message was read. Some iOS users prefer to keep this feature OFF, which should reduce the amount of information in the receipt to only show the iMessage was delivered (not a time stamp).
Some iPhone owners who have updated to iOS 7 noticed their devices suddenly began sending read receipts to others, despite the feature being OFF in the Settings. To fix this bug follow these steps:
1. Navigate to Settings -> Messages
2. Make sure Send Read Receipts is OFF (grey switch)
3. Turn OFF iMessage (grey switch)
4. Wait a few moments then turn ON iMessage (green switch)
5. Check to make sure Send Read Receipts is still OFF after activation