How do I use multitasking on an iPhone with iOS 4 / iPhone OS 4?
Multitasking capability has arrived with iOS 4. Users with an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 who have the latest firmware installed can access the feature.
Any apps can run in the background. For multitasking features such as background music to work, the application running in the background must be updated to take advantage of the capabilities Apple has added to iOS 4.
To use multitasking:
1. Run an app.
2. Press the home button. Instead of quitting the app will run in the background (apps without background support will quit).
3. At any time, double press the home button.
4. All running apps will appear along the dock at the bottom of the screen, along with recently used apps that have quit.
5. Scroll left and right to see all apps running in the background or recently used.
6. Touch an app to bring it to the foreground or restart the app.
To quit an app running in the background (or remove a recently used app icon):
1. Double press the home button to bring up the apps running in the background.
2. Touch and hold an app icon.
3. Icons will wiggle. Press the red circle on the icon of the app you wish to quit.