Apple has launched FaceTime video calling with every iPhone 4. All that's required is a Wi-Fi connection and a person on the other end of the line running the same setup. There are many things you can do to get the most out of your FaceTime calling experience.
First of all, to test your setup and get some personalized instruction, you can call an Apple representative using FaceTime at 1-888-FACETIME. Make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi before you dial. When you're ready to video chat with your friends and family, check out this list of tips:
1. You will see a small image of yourself, which shows what the caller on the other end of the line is seeing. This picture-in-picture can be moved by dragging the image to different corners on the screen while on a FaceTime call.
2. FaceTime calls work in Airplane Mode. You must call the other iPhone 4 first to establish device compatibility, however once the number has been called once, FaceTime can be used with Wi-Fi ON in Airplane Mode. To do this navigate to Settings -> Airplane Mode -> ON. Then select Wi-Fi -> ON.3. FaceTime calls can be made in portrait or landscape orientation. Just rotate the iPhone 4 with rotation lock off.
4. Avoid bright backgrounds. This will make your image too dark and the person you're taking to won't be able to actually see your face.
Newest iPhone FAQs
5. Be aware your phone number will always be visible to the caller on the other end of the line in FaceTime. This is true even if you have blocked your phone number.
6. App switching is possible during a FaceTime call. Just press the home button and select the app you wish to run. The FaceTime call is still connected with audio, but video will be suspended until you return to FaceTime.
7. Tap the rotating camera icon to switch between front and back cameras. This useful feature allows FaceTime callers to show the person they are talking to what the back camera sees, instead of always focusing on the front camera.
8. If you lose your Wi-Fi connection during a FaceTime call, the iPhone 4 will ask if you want to redial the number using a standard voice call.
9. You can initiate a FaceTime call from within a voice call by pressing the FaceTime button on the phone screen. When the person you're talking to accepts, video will appear.
10. If you have made a FaceTime call to one of your contacts recently, you can quickly initiate another FaceTime call with the contact from the Recents list in the Phone app. Just open the Recents list and tap the listed FaceTime call to start.
11. If you need to use FaceTime behind a firewall, check with your systems administrator. Port forwarding must be enabled for ports 53, 80, 443, 4080, 5223, and 16393-16472 (UDP) for FaceTime to work on a restricted Wi-Fi network.