Owners of the latest Apple TV can now enjoy video and live streaming content directly on the Facebook Video app. Facebook fans interested in watching videos on their Apple TV previously had to use AirPlay from an iOS device. The Facebook Video app for tvOS simplifies this process, and the company plans to bring similar apps to competing platforms including Amazon Fire TV.
Facebook Video offers access to videos shared by friends, as well as people and pages followed on your account. Not only can users see live videos from around the world, but the Facebook Video app delivers content recommendations based on your interests. Videos can be watched, shared and saved for later viewing. The app is organized into channels described by Facebook:
- What's new: Sit back and enjoy all your Facebook videos from these channels
- Shared by Friends: Videos your friends have shared on Facebook
- Following: Videos from pages and people you follow
- Recommended for You: Videos to explore based on your interests
- Top Live Videos: Popular live videos people are watching now
- Saved Videos: Videos you saved on Facebook
- Recently Watched: A history of videos you've already viewed
Rumors have said Facebook is negotiating to live stream one Major League Baseball game per week, however these reports have not been confirmed by the company. It's clear that Facebook intends to make access to video content more seamless for its users on the Apple TV and other devices as well.
Facebook Video can be installed free from the tvOS App Store. Sign in with your Facebook credentials to start watching.