How can I setup IMAP for GMail on my iPhone?
Google has recently added IMAP as an available protocol for their GMail. This is a long awaited feature for GMail users (not just GMail iPhone users) as it allows for true synchronization between GMail and offline mail readers.
UPDATE: Now iPhone users can simply choose "GMail" from the list of built-in accounts when adding a new email account. Navigate to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Add Account -> Gmail and enter your account Address and Password. Touch "Save" and it will connect automatically.
Old information follows:
Google has offered two sources of easy to follow instructions, a text version and a video, for setting up GMail reading via IMAP on the iPhone. Both are copied below:
GMail via IMAP on the Apple iPhone: Text Instructions
- Enable IMAP in your Gmail account settings.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Mail.
- Tap Add Account.
- Tap Other. (Note: don't tap Gmail; if you do, you'll set up POP rather than IMAP. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to make setting up Gmail more intuitive for the iPhone.)
- Make sure that:
- The IMAP tab is highlighted
- Host Name is imap.gmail.com
- User Name is your full Gmail address, including '@gmail.com'
- For Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), Host Name is smtp.gmail.com
- Tap Save.
And you're done. You can verify your Advanced settings by tapping Settings > [your Gmail IMAP Account] > Advanced.
Use SSL: ON
Server Port: 993
Use SSL: ON
Server Port: 587