Normally unjailbreaking an iPhone requires updating to the latest stock version of iOS. In cases where the new version of iOS cannot be jailbroken, this restricts options for users looking to reset their devices without an update. Thanks to @saurik iOS 8.3 and iOS 8.4 can be unjailbroken without updating the firmware with the tool Cydia Impactor. Once installed, this tool makes it possible to return the current iOS version to stock iOS by directly removing the jailbreak from the device.
Restoring iOS to its default, unjailbroken state can be accomplished in a few easy steps with Cydia Impactor. The best part is that re-jailbreaking is possible using TaiG or another tool. For those looking to restore an iOS device for troubleshooting purposes, Cydia Impactor eliminates the need to upgrade iOS during the process.
Note that Cydia Impactor is currently beta software and works only with iOS 8.3 and iOS 8.4. Follow these steps to unjailbreak your device:
3. Make sure the iOS device is connected to the Internet using cellular data or Wi-Fi.
Newest iPhone FAQs
4. Open Cydia and use the Search tab to find Cydia Impactor. Install the package.
5. Run Cydia Impactor by tapping the Impactor icon on the home screen. Select "delete all data and unjailbreak device" then confirm to continue.
6. Do not attempt to use the device while Impactor is running!
7. When the unjailbreak process is complete, follow the instructions to setup iOS and activate the device.
Once the steps above are finished, the currently installed iOS firmware is returned to a stock configuration. The jailbreak and all associated data has been removed.
Cydia Impactor is available from the Cydia/Telesphoreo repo on Cydia for free. To start customizing iOS, click here for instructions on how to jailbreak iOS 8.4 with TaiG, or learn how to jailbreak iOS 8.4 on Mac. Find out how to purchase and install Cydia tweaks with this guide.