AirPods are incredibly easy to pair with any iPhone running iOS 10 or later. Apple continues to tout the simplicity and reliability of the AirPods' built-in W1 chip. As the availability of AirPods improves, more Apple fans will give them a try. Follow these steps to connect AirPods to your iPhone for the first time:
- Unlock the iPhone and make sure Bluetooth is ON in the Control Center.
- Hold the AirPods close to the iPhone and open the case. The white light indicates AirPods are ready to pair.
- Tap the Connect button on the iPhone.
- The AirPods will pair with your device, as well as other Apple products signed into the same iCloud account.
- The iPhone is now ready to play music, use Siri or make phone calls using AirPods. You can check Settings -> Bluetooth to verify paired devices.
Note that pairing AirPods with a second iPhone, or a device logged into a different iCloud account requires an extra step. After opening the case next to the iPhone (Step 2 above) follow the prompts on the iPhone. The iPhone will ask you to press and hold the button on the back of the AirPods case.