Submitted by Bob Bhatnagar on
Apple has limited the number of home screens on the iPhone to 11. Even though that adds up to a total of 180 applications including the dock, some users want more space. This is possible on firmware version 3.1.2 thanks to a trick that doesn't require jailbreaking.
Follow these steps to get more than 11 home pages on your iPhone:
1. Make sure you have 11 pages of apps. You can drag apps over to create a new page.
2. Blank spaces are OK, but the first and last page must be completely full of apps (16 on each).
3. Move the Voice Memos icon to the last position on the last page (all the way in the bottom right, but not in the dock).
4. While the icons are still wiggling, move one icon up from the dock to bump the Voice Memos icon off the screen and replace it in the last position.
5. Press the home button so the icons stop wiggling and reboot the iPhone.
6. You now have 12 home screens. Just readjust the icon positions how you like them and return the icon you moved from the dock back to the dock.
7. Repeat the process for more pages.
As the Apple iPhone School brings to our attention, 19 pages will give you 19 grey dots, the maximum that will fit at the bottom of the home screen.Warning! Syncing your iPhone with iTunes 9.0.2 will return your iPhone to 11 home screens.
Anonymous replied on Permalink
I think the iPhone should keep its "11 pages of icons"... but each page should also scroll up/down.
You could have different pages for games, utilities, sounds, travel, etc.
But instead of 16 icons on each page... you could flick the pages up/down and show another 16... or another 100 icons.
If you didn't like that feature... you could keep things the way they are: just keep 16 icons on each page.
Should make everyone happy.
(It would also be nice if EACH page could have a separate wall-paper picture.)
spytech128 replied on Permalink
Please, submit ideas you have for the iPhone directly to Apple, at "www.apple.com/feedback/". We might see something like that in an iPhone software update, in the future!
Spytech128 replied on Permalink
I almost was totally excited until realizing the trick is to get the 19 Home pages to stay at 19 after syncing!!! Bummer!
Vince replied on Permalink
I discovered a trick to this on another thread. If you never click on the applications tab on the iphone, you will not loose the extra screens. I have tested this theory up to 20 screens. I currently have 26 home screens (I have a lot of apps). I have not tested this trick with 26, but it did work with 20. Hope this helps.
Vince replied on Permalink
I discovered a trick to this on another thread. If you never click on the applications tab on the iphone, you will not loose the extra screens. I am currently running 33 home screens (I have a LOT of apps). Hope this helps.