Cupertino, we have a problem. With over 1.7 million iPhones sold in just three days, Apple's production capacity is at its limits. With so much innovative technology packed into such a small device, there are bound to be some lemons. Many customers have received their iPhone 4 and have no issues, while others have hit the support forums and message boards to voice concerns.
Problems range from inconvenient to completely unfixable. The iPhone 4 comes with one free year of AppleCare, which means that one visit to the Genius Bar can help. With so many iPhones hot off the factory floor, its not guaranteed that even replacement hardware won't have issues of its own. Here's a list of the top 10 iPhone 4 bugs, issues and complaints to watch out for when you receive your shipment from Apple.
1. The antenna "death grip" is affecting reception quality. Apple has already acknowledged the issue, and advises users to avoid holding the lower left side of the iPhone 4 or purchase a case. Connecting the metal on both sides of the black line with your fingers could result in poor reception.
2. Yellow spots on the screen. The Apple Retina Display is brand new technology. Some have reported blurry yellow spots on the display. This could be a chemical used to bond the glass that hasn't fully dried before shipping. iPhone 4 owners have reported that in some cases the yellow spots disappear after a few days of normal use.3. A green blob of discoloration in photos taken with the camera. Users have posted examples of photos taken with the iPhone 4 with a strange aura or circle of green color in the center. It's unclear what's causing the problem, however the issue should be covered by your warranty.
4. Excessive heat during operation. The rear glass panel of the iPhone 4 radiates heat away from the device. Some customers have speculated that due to reception issues the radio is working overtime and generating more heat than it should.
Newest iPhone FAQs
5. Battery life is below expectations. Reports of this problem are likely related to issue #1 and #4, since an overtaxed radio will use more juice. Software issues could also cause the battery to run down quickly if power management is not running optimally. The iPhone 4 has a larger battery than the 3GS, so users may also have unrealistic expectations.
6. Proximity sensor acting up. This little piece of hardware turns off the screen when the iPhone 4 is next to your ear, preventing the touch screen from registering input. Some users are complaining that the sensor doesn't always turn off the screen, resulting in accidental dialing, hang-ups and other surprises as the ear presses on-screen buttons. Some have explained that the proximity sensor works sometimes but not always.
7. Poor 3G data speeds. Although this could be a local issue with the AT&T network, some users have compared their 3G data speeds to a previous model iPhone and claim the iPhone 4 is slower. Others are impressed by the improvement in download speeds. Whether or not your iPhone 4 has this problem depends on many factors and could also be related to issue #1. Some iPhone 4 owners claim speeds are faster when they leave their device on the EDGE network.
8. Switched volume buttons. Not as widespread, this issue has been reported and involves the "+" and "-" buttons on the left side of the iPhone 4 being switched. Normally the "+" or increase volume button should be on the top, with the "-" button on the bottom. Sounds like someone at the factory wasn't paying attention!
9. The glass back is too fragile. There are unfortunate individuals who have already shattered the back of their iPhone 4. These events have even happened while the device was cloaked in an Apple iPhone 4 Bumper case. Apple claims the glass used in its latest smartphone is super strong. This may be true, but when glass is strengthened it also becomes more prone to shattering due to tension inside the glass sheet.
10. Where is the white iPhone 4? No word on when the white version will be available. It's currently not available for pre-order or in stores. Apple watchers assumed that based on the launch announcement both colors would be available at the same time. Apple has made no comment on the matter.