iPhone Dev Team member MuscleNerd has confirmed that an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 will be released this week. Over the weekend, pod2g tweeted that "something big" was going to happen at the Hack In The Box security conference in Amsterdam being held May 21 through May 25. He later added that a public release was only a few days away. On Monday, MuscleNerd released an iOS 5.1.1 "info sheet" that revealed how the iPhone 3GS and iPod 3G made the jailbreak cut.
The upcoming jailbreak will be released via multiple tools just like the iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak was (e.g. cinject, RedSn0w, and Absinthe). All current iOS devices will be supported except for AppleTV 3. For a complete list of supported devices click here. MuscleNerd's "info sheet" is posted below.
* All info below is tentative and subject to last minute refinements
* @pod2g’s 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether is working out great. All devices are covered except for
AppleTV3,1, which currently has no path for jailbreaking.
– @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
Newest iPhone FAQs
* The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
* Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI “cinject” binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
– timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
* For those wishing to donate, we’ve set up a new 5.1.1 paypal URL: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=4U6DQGJ2NRVUN
* Please don’t pirate AppStore apps (seriously, please do not).