Big changes are coming to the iOS camera and Photos app when iOS 8 launches this fall. One of the highlights will be stock time lapse video capabilities, to complement slow motion and burst mode. These last two features are officially limited to the iPhone 5s.
Older devices can get slow motion and burst mode functionality through jailbreak tweaks or third-party apps. Apple has not revealed if time lapse will be limited to the iPhone 6, however there are several ways to record time lapse videos right now on existing iOS devices. Here are six ways to get time lapse video on the iOS 7 camera.
1. Time Lapse Camera - Free [No ads $0.99]: Keeps time lapse simple. Set the interval and tap record. No options to get in the way. Videos are stored in the app and can be exported or deleted with a left swipe.
2. Lapse It - Free [Pro $1.99]: More options here including filters, square format, stop motion mode, and social media sharing among others. Video trimmer, adjustable focus, white balance and exposure to name a few. Pro version adds soundtracks and higher resolution capture.3. iMotion HD - Free [Pro $2.99]: Another option with more control. Four capture modes including manual, remote and microphone. Ultra speed shooting up to 10 frames per second. Variable frame rate playback. Pro version adds filters and share settings.
4. Frameographer - $4.99: Timeline for editing makes it possible to add music, combine multiple time lapse movies and even delete frames. Straightforward interface for navigating projects, selecting frame rate, capture and export.
Newest iPhone FAQs
5. TimeLapse - $4.99: Pro level tool records 4K video or HD, snap RAW photos or JPEG. Frame level editing and virtual pan and zoom. Smart Exposure eliminates time lapse flicker. Tilt shift capabilities and a powerful filter stack to round out the package. Even works with the Motrr Galileo motorized dock.
6. CameraTweak 2 - $1.49 [Cydia]: Adds enhancements to the stock iOS 7 camera on jailbroken devices. Lapse timer mode for still photos, and adjustable frame rate for videos down to one frame per second. While not capable of longer intervals like the other options, features such as timer mode, adjustable resolution and separate focus and exposure targets make it worthwhile.
Learn how to jailbreak iOS 7.1.x with Pangu. Or check here for instructions on how to jailbreak iOS 7.0.x with evasi0n 7. You can also find out how to purchase and install Cydia tweaks with this guide.